- what information is collected
- how information is stored
- how information is used
What is personal data?
The GDPR applies to ‘personal data’ meaning any information relating to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified in particular by reference to an identifier.
This definition provides for a wide range of personal identifiers to constitute personal data, including name, identification number, location data or online identifier, reflecting changes in technology and the way organisations collect information about people.
The GDPR applies to both automated personal data and to manual filing systems where personal data are accessible according to specific criteria. This could include chronologically ordered sets of manual records containing personal data.
What information does the GDPR apply to?
What information do I collect?
When you contact me
If you post any personal data (e.g. an email address) in a blog comment I will not publish it
How do I collect information?
- From you when you contact or interact with this site by email or when you communicate through social media;
- From forms you may complete;
- From public sources of data (e.g. the contacts details you have chosen to make public on your website or social media)
- From organisations/bodies you are connect to or are affiliated with, when they provide your information to me
Why do I collect it?
- In relation to news updates, the information I hold is based on you having given your consent. For example, in relation to news updates you have provided the email and then verified that it should be stored and used as a basis for processing the blog feed via Feedburner and sending you an email for the news update.
- I also collect information because of a legitimate interest to ensure I have got details correct in relation to any public published information about you.
- Data relating to any business transaction arises out of a contractual necessity e.g. so both you and I are fulfilling the obligations set out in supplier terms and conditions or any contract that may be in place.
How do I use your information?
- Record any correspondence or products I receive and respond accordingly;
- Send out information relating to news updates
- Enter into contracts with customers
- Maintain relationships with individuals and organisations and send messages from time to time
How is it stored?
- In paper files stored securely;
- In software systems which are managed on my Apple hardware or on webware provided by a third party supplier. (details below)
- If you register to receive news updates, your information will be held on a secure server and the data will be shared with Google Feedburner only for automated processing of the news feed.
Who do I share your information with?
- my website service in relation to the use of forms and comments on this website and for the management of cookies on this website;
- statistical services with respect to understanding the traffic to the website
- Social media providers e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram – to highlight public news
I am committed to protecting your privacy. Under no circumstances do I rent, trade or share your e-mail address without your consent. Very occasionally people ask to be put in contact with another person. Rather than give their email address to you, I inform you that I will forward your request (using gmail) to them and leave them to decide how to respond.
How do I protect your data?
I engage reputable service providers to process your data on my behalf for the purposes of email correspondence, website and social media provision They are all under a duty of confidentiality, and are legally obliged to implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure the security of data in line with the relevant legislation.
How long do I keep your personal data?
- Correspondence: I periodically delete contacts and associated emails.
- Blog comments and forms: If the blog comment is not published or the form submitted is nonsensical they are deleted.
- Spam comments are kept for a period of time prior to reports to Google re. worst offenders.
- News updates: Emails are stored on in my dedicated Google Feedburner account. If the email is not verified for this use within one month of it being received by Feedburner I delete it. You may unsubscribe from this online newsletter at anytime.
- Personal data and business correspondence in relation to all business contracts involving payment is retained for a minimum of six years after the end of the tax year in line with the requirements of HMRC.
Whether or not you receive a cookie depends on your browser settings – which only you control.
Very many websites, including this one, send you cookies when you visit the site in order to collect data to track traffic flows. A cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes a unique identifier that is sent to your computer or other device browser from a website’s computer and is stored on your device’s hard drive.
Cookies record information about the location of your IP provider, technical data about your computer and data about which pages you look at on this website and how these were accessed. They do NOT tell Weebly or me who the person is or anything else about the person viewing the site. If you have a website or blog yourself then you are probably collecting statistical data relating to traffic flows in a very similar way.
If you are concerned about Cookies you can find out more about how to manage cookies on the AboutCookies website
Privacy of Email addresses
I rely on your consent for me to know and use the personal data you supply – such as name and email address. Your data is always kept safe and secure.
Below I describe the processes and details the links to the Privacy Policies of the services I use when you supply your email to me.
- Subscriptions to my news blog: People wishing to subscribe to my news blog via email are asked to subscribe by submitting their email using Google’s Feedburner. Your email is ONLY used if you re-confirm (verify) that you wish to receive news updates from my blog and your email is ONLY used for that one purpose.
- Marketing: I do NOT use email addresses for marketing purposes. I will NOT contact you for marketing purposes or to promote new additions to the website to you. I use Facebook and Twitter to promote my website.
- What I do with your emails:
If you have any queries you can contact me via the contact forms on this website or via the e-mail address listed on ‘About Katherine Tyrrell’
All statistical data collected via this site is initially collected, stored and analysed by third parties.
Weebly provides me with basic statistics. I get more information using two statistical packages – see below
In addition, this is Google’s statement about How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps.
to enable StatCounter.com to track your unique visitors we send a cookie to your visitors’ computer. This information is collected solely to improve the service we offer to you and statistical purposes and is not used to identify individuals.
Google Analytics stores information about:
- the pages you visit on this website and how long you spend on each page
- how you got to the site
- what you click on while you’re visiting the site
- the location generating the visit (in broad terms e.g. a city)
I am able to download some data to my own computer. All data collected is anonymous and is collected solely for statistical purposes, to improve the service offered and is not used to identify individuals.